Triangle Collision Detection

Nov 11, 2007 at 3:27 PM
Hello,
Currently I'm working on a 3D game and I'm searching for a 3D physics engine. I believe (from my experience) that the most important and useful feature for a physics engine is the triangle collision detection. (at least triangle vs Basic Shapes) I was wondering that the "Heightmap Collision Support" that you mentioned is the same thing or it is different. Because if it is the same my search for a physics engine would be over.

Cheers.
Coordinator
Nov 12, 2007 at 2:46 PM
Hi KamiSama,

I agree that triangle vs. basic shape collision is very important and useful. I will be moving that up the list and working on that next. If I were to guess on the implementation, it would only be triangle vs. basic shape and not any type of mesh support.

Great request!
Feb 22, 2008 at 9:18 PM
Hi,

I've stumbled upon your physics engine. Great job so far, but as the original poster said it would be really useful to have primitive vs mesh collision. In fact for the application I've got in mind it's essential, I won't be able to use the terrain collision. As far as I'm concerned the mesh can be completely static but primitives would be able to collide with it. Actually I'm only interested in sphere to mesh collision to start with.

I was wondering if you were planning to develop (or currently developing) mesh collision? If so do you have an idea when it might be available for use?

Thanks
Coordinator
Feb 25, 2008 at 5:20 AM
Hi niru, thanks for the interest in my project!

I plan on implementing mesh collision but it won't be for a while. I'll probably be concentrating on the DreamBuildPlay contest when it starts. After that, I'll probably get back to the framework and incorporate all the ideas I have for the DBP.