XNA 4.0 version

Jul 23, 2010 at 6:30 PM
Edited Jul 23, 2010 at 6:31 PM

Hey,

Have you made any plans to make a compatible XNA 4.0 version of your Framework?

Also have you made any progress on adding capsules and interpolating the time-step?

Love your work, just curious what updates you've made over the last few months.

...I know it can be hard to find time to work on personal projects, I've been working on an xna game that hasn't progressed in months because of my full time job.

Coordinator
Jul 24, 2010 at 8:25 PM

Hey Nelxon, I've stopped working on the game I've been working on so I've picked up on the development of the framework again. I'm in the process right now of converting the framework to XNA 4.0 Beta.  The interpolating and time-stepping will be in there as well as capsule support and collision islands.

I've been playing around with other collision detection algorithms as well, trying to find one that works better than what I have (i.e., GJK/MPR/etc).  There's some speed gains I'm seeing but having issues with some collision types.

Anyways, I'm back to actively working on the framework and the items you mentioned are in there, as well as potentially more!

Jul 24, 2010 at 10:43 PM

Cool I'm looking forward to the next release. :)

Thanks for all your great work.

Jul 26, 2010 at 5:13 PM
Edited Jul 26, 2010 at 5:13 PM

Sweet! What's the ETA for the XNA 4.0 port? I started working on it myself, but as I'm pretty new to XNA I just ripped out all the shaders to get the code to compile and run. (well that and a whole bunch of small changes to comply with the new XNA 4.0 API.)

By the way, will Oops API remain the same or will something change there too? 

Thanks for the great work!

Coordinator
Jul 28, 2010 at 12:01 AM

Thanks!

The API will remain basically the same but the internals will be quite different.  There will be a few changes but no more than what you have to do upgrading to XNA 4.0.  I hope to apply the ObsoleteAttribute to members of classes that have changed and reimplement to make them still work until you can move your code over to the new API. 

I'm hoping in about a 1-2 months the release will be ready.  I'm separating things into separate dlls as well, similar to what XNA 4.0 has done.  Phyiscs will be a separate dll so you don't have to include all my other crap if you don't want it.

Jul 28, 2010 at 4:55 AM

Thanks for the response. Any chance to get some preliminaries a bit faster? ;) WinMo7 coming out... need some time to build up an app suite... Oops seems perfect for architecting... ;) 

I could send you the port I've already done if that helps... (or upload it as a shelveset...) I ripped out PSSM altogether, but quite a bit of the example screens appear to work. (Although for some reason my rectangles don't show up... need to debug that.) But at least it compiles, runs, doesn't crash, and the startup screen appears to be identical to the sample app built on 3.1... so that's a start. :)

Aug 9, 2010 at 6:51 PM

Nice to know things are progressing well.
I only use the physics component from the framework, so separate dlls is great news.

Know that your work is much appreceated here. Thanks!

Oct 7, 2010 at 10:58 PM

I think everyone has been exploring XNA 4.0 lately, So I'm curious any possible updates to your framework coming soon for XNA 4.0?

as always, Thanks for all your hard work. :)

Coordinator
Oct 13, 2010 at 2:31 AM

Hi Nelxon, I'm still actively working on the framework, having rewritten most of the physics internals.  Right now, I'm creating examples to test it out.  I've ran into a few issues but all have been solvable.  It's slow going due to my day job but I'm still hoping for a timely release.  Maybe this month if things go well.  It's my goal.

Thanks for asking about the status as it motivates me to get it done!

Dec 5, 2010 at 5:01 PM

Howdy,

Thanks for all your hard work on this physics engine.

Any news on the 4.0 version?

Dec 28, 2010 at 10:00 PM

Keep it going FretboardOfFury!!!

We believe in you! ;)

Thanks for your work.

Mar 1, 2011 at 6:20 AM

Just wondering if any progress has been made on the XNA 4 version of Oops. This is a cool project.