no importer (35761)

Oct 3, 2009 at 4:47 AM

Hi,

I noticed a problem in the build process (from VS 2008) using build 35761.

C:\Program Files\MSBuild\Microsoft\XNA Game Studio\v3.1\Microsoft.Xna.GameStudio.ContentPipeline.targets : warning : Project item 'Effects\Common.fxh' was not built with the XNA Framework Content Pipeline. Set its Build Action property to Compile to build it.
C:\Program Files\MSBuild\Microsoft\XNA Game Studio\v3.1\Microsoft.Xna.GameStudio.ContentPipeline.targets : warning : Project item 'Effects\Fog.fxh' was not built with the XNA Framework Content Pipeline. Set its Build Action property to Compile to build it.
C:\Program Files\MSBuild\Microsoft\XNA Game Studio\v3.1\Microsoft.Xna.GameStudio.ContentPipeline.targets : warning : Project item 'Effects\Instancing.fxh' was not built with the XNA Framework Content Pipeline. Set its Build Action property to Compile to build it.
C:\Program Files\MSBuild\Microsoft\XNA Game Studio\v3.1\Microsoft.Xna.GameStudio.ContentPipeline.targets : warning : Project item 'Effects\Lighting.fxh' was not built with the XNA Framework Content Pipeline. Set its Build Action property to Compile to build it.
C:\Program Files\MSBuild\Microsoft\XNA Game Studio\v3.1\Microsoft.Xna.GameStudio.ContentPipeline.targets : warning : Project item 'Effects\Shadow.fxh' was not built with the XNA Framework Content Pipeline. Set its Build Action property to Compile to build it.
C:\Program Files\MSBuild\Microsoft\XNA Game Studio\v3.1\Microsoft.Xna.GameStudio.ContentPipeline.targets : warning : Project item 'Effects\Skinning.fxh' was not built with the XNA Framework Content Pipeline. Set its Build Action property to Compile to build it.

Any idea why?  Honestly, I worked around it when importing some of the example code to my own project.

Coordinator
Oct 4, 2009 at 1:27 AM

The files with fhx extension are not content pipeline files.  there're header files for the CommonEffect.fx file that contain extra shader code/constants.  See the CommonEffect.fx file to get an idea of how they get used.  The warnings are valid.

I just include them in the project so I know they are there, but the should be marked as just "content/none" and not "compile".  You can exclude them from the project if you like.  Hope that clears things up a bit.

Oct 4, 2009 at 3:23 AM

ah, thanks, man.  I worked around them, but that's good to know.